Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption Level of web site

From: "Nick Diotte" <ndiotte () wincom net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:01:35 -0400

Patrick,

Just though I'd send this to the list as well.  What I think your asking can
be done with netcraft.com.  You can use the "What's this site running?", and
once that results load you can use "look for an SSL site at domainname.com?".
 This will list all the SSL ciphers supported by the webserver.  However this
will only work if you are scanning a world routable IP.

As for utilities, I don't know any off the top of my head, but maybe others
on the list do.  Maybe ID Serve from http://grc.com can do it?

Greetings,

Ok thank you for the information, but i am searching for a >way to make a query
on a remote WebServer (One i don't have >acces to)  to know, what are the permited
encryption on it ?.

If it is possible to talk to a https server that support 40 >bits encryption..
So i can tell the client: Your server >should support only 128 bits..

DO you know of a Script or way to know that ?

Without looking at the Config files?

Thank you again for your time,..

Patrick

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm