Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Biometric Alternatives

From: leifg () doh state nm us
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:45:36 -0600

Ahh, I found it finally. Take a look at this first, it made me pause and
wonder if I'd be spending my money wisely for my department.

http://www.heise.de/ct/english/02/11/114/

Not that long ago it was written.

=====================
Leif Gregory

"Mears,Caleb M" <Caleb.M.Mears () business colostate edu>
06/04/2003 04:01 PM

<security-basics () securityfocus com>
cc

Subject
Biometric Alternatives

Hello All,

I am currently evaluating different biometric alternatives to our current
logon system. I have narrowed my search to fingerprint based systems
because as most of our "customers" are students, ease of use is a must and
iris or voice based systems do not seem practical. Keyboards with built-in
scanners are preferred because most of the devices I have found are small
external devices that I imagine will grow legs and walk out the door
unless there is a locking mechanism included with the device. I am looking
for something that will work in conjunction with our current Windows XP
workstations and Windows 2000 server w/ Active Directory; however, we will
be migrated over to Windows 2003 server by the end of the summer so
compatibility with 2003 server is a must. The purpose of this project is
to provide the students with an alternative to remembering their password
and provide quicker logon times. Any good/bad experiences with vendors are
appreciated.

Caleb