Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ethereal Log Analyzers

From: gene yoo <gyoo () attbi com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:06:35 -0800

Craig Brauckmiller wrote:

Hello all. I'm looking for a log analyzer for Ethereal. I downloaded the Win32 version of Ethereal and want to run some basic analysis on my network traffic. I have Google'd for some utils and tried SawMill but it doesn't seem to recognize the tcpdump log format that Ethereal dumps.

Help please.

Thanks in advance.

Craig Brauckmiller

craig, you might want to try subscribing to ethereal-user for most question regarding ethereal.

my question to you is, why do you need a log analyzer for ethereal? ethereal is a network capturing analysis tool. you could run it as live capture (scrolling slows down your machine) or just default capture setting (then again, depends on your filter rule). if you're talking about being able to read the capture dump files, ethereal should be able to open and read most formats (i.e. tcpdump, etc...).

i would say make sure you have stable release of winpcap.  gene
--
<<gyoo [at] attbi [dot] com>>