Security Basics mailing list archives

Configuring OpenSSH-3.5p1 on Tru64

From: Asif Munir <ASIF () qtel com qa>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 20:33:30 -0800

Hi,

I am currently in the process of configuring OpenSSH-3.5p1 on a number of
Tru64 Unix machines.  The versions vary from 4.0d all the way to 5.1a.  I
set up OpenSSH on my local workstation running Tru64 5.1a the problem I seem
to be facing is with regards the 'UsePrivilegeSeperation,' option in the
sshd_config file.  If I leave it as the default setting 'yes,' then I get
the following error message, 'sshd: /var/tcb/files/_db_lock_share:
Permission denied,'  when logging in with other than root.  If I then change
the value to 'no,' I get a successful normal user connection.

Previously I was getting another message 'cannot set login uid error,'  this
was occurring when I was trying to login with other than root and the
'UsePrivilegeSeperation,' value was set to 'yes.'  I can't remember what I
changed to start getting a permission denied error.  Because I am still
testing, this issue is not so critical.  According to the what I have read
the 'UsePrivilegeSeperation,' should be set to 'yes,' so as to avoid the
possibility of privilege escalation.

Is there anyone who has configured OpenSSH-3.5p1 on Tru64 with the
'UsePrivlilegeSeperation' set to 'yes' ?  Or this not so important ?

Also is there an issue with using C2 and OpenSSH ??

I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions.

Regards,
Asif