Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Justifying the spend on a vulnerability scanner

From: "Pierre A. Cadieux" <hobbit () theshire com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:03:28 -0800

I some respects it depends on the type of business/computer network you are protecting. You can get low/no cost scanners (NMAP, etc.) that will tell you ports are open, and you can then do the leg work to verify that the services should be running, and are patched etc.

In large commercial environments, where there is regulatory requirements or specific security standards/goals, then the need for proactive scanning definitely exists as part of your audit strategy. In general I have seen engineering companies, healthcare companies, insurance companies, and financial companies easily explain this cost since they are required to have this level of security.

Don't forget getting the scanner will be great, but you will need to agree on when it should be used (some scans MAY interfere with production services), how often you should scan, where to scan from, and the best part will be getting the people that maintain the boxes to react quickly to any critical exposures.

Without the proactive auditing that a vulnerability scanner provides you (depending on the size of your network) there could be a number of critical exposures or systems with intrusions that you don't know about.

I also would suggest some type of IDS strategy.. but that is another topic.

Regards,

->PIerre Cadieux