Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NTP recommedations

From: "Darren Van Booven" <darren () fni-stl com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:22:53 -0600

 Not sure if this was mentioned, but you could try seeing if your firewall
supports NTP.  Many firewalls these days can be setup as a broadcast
server...your firewall can get the time from an external source and then
your internal servers can get your time from the firewall (acting as an NTP
server).  I think this is safer than allowing your servers to hit the
Internet (often not permitted by security policy) and less of a pain, as you
just permit UDP 123 to your NTP authority and nothing else. Other options
have already been touched on (using DMZ servers, etc.).

Darren Van Booven