Security Basics mailing list archives

Remote Administration & Local serial line snooping

From: <a_ninaber () hotmail com>
Date: 21 Mar 2003 09:49:34 -0000

Hi,

I am looking for a product that allows us to remote administrate a number
of computers while the customer can locally snoop the incoming serial line
connection to see whether we are breaching any of the pre-agreed rules.

For this the customer will have to be able to check every incomming
command. It should be impossible to hack the line without the customer
noticing this. I think one possible solution is to have on the incomming
side a modem to which we can dial in from remote and that the serial cable
from the modem to the incomming computer is snooped by means of a very
simple printer that prints each incomming character directly to paper. The
security is sufficient if the customer can see the start of an
irregularity.

So the questions are: has this been done before, is there a company that
sells certified solutions and are there better solutions to this problem?

Thanks very much,

Alex