Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions Needed

From: Chris Travers <chris () travelamericas com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:47:03 -0800

Hi all;

Personally I do prefer netfilter on Linux to ipfilter on FreeBSD. This is strictly a matter of preference. Here are the benefits I see of BSD or Linux... Both are stateful, and relatively full-featured but they are different.

FreeBSD/IPFilter: Simpler, shorter rule sets. In security, it is important to simplify one's logic and IPFilter is very good at that.

Linux/Netfilter: Netfilter allows you to subdivide your handling of the packets allowing greater separation of NAT and firewall function, and also greater defense in depth. While it is more complicated, it is more extensible and there are many patches for specific functionality (such as matching a string-- you could match port 80 and string NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN and log it as "Code_Red_I" for example if you wanted).

When I switched from IPChains to IPTables/Netfilter, I found it a little disorienting. However, now that I am used to it, I am finding it very powerful. I recommend running it on any bastion Linux host.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

theog wrote:

Actually , I am quite amazed , no one mentioned iptables on linux
(http://netfilter.samba.org) , thats what I use and recommend you to use ...
you can install squid (proxy) and openvpn\freeswan on another machine (if
you have it) or on the same machine.