Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Any good method to check network overload?

From: Mike Dresser <mdresser () windsormachine com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:30:05 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, David Gillett wrote:

  I use MRTG for the boxes I have working/usable SNMP
implementations on.

  It doesn't handle outages/crashes very well.  it just
treats the last successfully retrieved data volume as
continuing until new data becomes available.
  There are some boxes I need to monitor, on which SNMP
is broken or unavailable.
  I'm not sure whether it would meet the original
poster's need, or not.

You can tell mrtg to report a 0 value instead of the last value.

As well, you don't have to use snmp either.

Target[target]: `head --lines=8 /file | tail --lines=4`

is a perfectly valid method for mrtg to use.  As long as your output
returns four values, you are all set.

Mike