Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Telnet vs PcAnywhere

From: Sean Knox <sean.knox () sbcglobal net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:42:05 -0800

Tony Lindsey wrote:

In my discussions with the firewall administrators, security people, network engineers, server administrators, etc...it
seems as though the people are using telnet and pcAnywhere interchangeably.  I was always under the impression that
telnet was more restrictive.

Quite the opposite. Telnet transmits all data in clear text; passwords and sesssion data alike. In other words, it's completely insecure. Most people use SSH as a replacement as the sessions are encrypted. PcAnywhere is used on Windows servers to provide remote administration through the Windows GUI (VNC, Terminal Server, and Citrix are others that do this as well). Telnet/SSH traditionally is for UNIX machines and give access to a remote console.

Sean