Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: block internet at two workstations

From: Alaric Darconville <alaric () cowboy net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:13:24 -0500 (CDT)

There's really no reason to try it-- the 'http://&apos; part of a URL is just a
protocol identifier, not a hostname.  The HOSTS file is concerned only
with hostnames, not with protocols (it more or less works on the
network layer, not the application layer).  Additionally, in most host
files, the IP is listed first, then the hostname.

You can test this by adding
  127.0.0.1 www.microsoft.com
to your HOSTS, then trying 'ping -a www.microsoft.com'.  You'll see that
even with ping, the hostname www.microsoft.com resolves to 127.0.0.1.