Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Setting up secure windows xp network

From: "wjnorth" <wjnorth () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:16:24 -0700

I personally would check out a few different Windows hardening
resources:

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/index.html for NSA snac guides (NOTE: I would
take extreme care and caution when utilizing these guides, as they are
known to break systems very easily).

http://www.systemsexperts.com/literature.html systems experts have some
good guidance

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/secur
ity/prodtech/windows/secwin2k/default.asp And you can always rely on MS
to provide you with quite a bit of fluff, but there's still some good
info there as well.

When hardening using the Windows templates from NSA, I would caution you
to make sure you do a full analysis on what it will lock down, you'll
end up finding out later on that some of the services (i.e. COM+, WMI
etc) are needed for certain applications.

As far as a software based firewall, I did a trade analysis on
host-based firewalls a few weeks back, and Norton personal firewall
stood out to be a very good app. Only problem is it has more granular
control then say (BlackICE, McAfee, Tiny Firewall, Zone Alarm, Sygate
etc. etc.). You may find it a bit more difficult to control, however,
once you understand it, it is actually a very effective firewall, and
even has built-in IDS rules that can be used. You just have to figure
out how to use it. ;-)

-Wesley North
Senior Information Systems Security Engineer
BAE SYSTEMS, MISSION SOLUTIONS
wesley.north () baesystems com