Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: Shawn Duffy <pakkit () codepiranha org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

You need to get the original headers from the recipient of the message.
That will have the sender's IP address.  From there you can send the
headers to Yahoo's abuse department (don't know the address offhand).  Who
knows if it will actually be addressed by them but that is all you can do.

If they ARE life-threatening then your best bet is to contact your local
law enforcement agency, give them the headers and the emails, and they
will submit a subpoena or search warrant to Yahoo for user records.  Yahoo
HAS to respond to those.  However, if the offending user is outside the
US, there still may ne nothing they can do.  Though Yahoo will close the
account.  Either way, you will never know the identity of the real sender,
at least from this... the law enforcement agency won't tell you who it is
once they have the records, nor should they, and neither will Yahoo.

Shawn Duffy, CCNA CCSE
email: pakkit at codepiranha dot org
web: http://codepiranha.org/~pakkit
gpg key: http://codepiranha.org/~pakkit/pakkit.asc
gpg fpr: 8988 6FB6 3CFE FE6D 548E  98FB CCE9 6CA9 98FC 665A
having problems reading email from me? http://codepiranha.org/~pakkit/pgp-trouble.html