Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Switch

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:28:35 -0800

        There are already some *NIX distros that try and provide this
type of functionality out of the box.

http://www.wiresoft.net/products_firegate_server.html <- Costs $$$
http://www.ipcop.org
http://www.smoothwall.org/

        Of course, custom firewalls of any nature are harder to maintain
then a retail product. You can have inter-site VPN's via SSH
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ppp-ssh/. You will 'most likely' have to build
your firewall script from hand, either iptables/ipchains script, or a
shell script. It's viable if you have a dedicated security person. You
will need someone to manage the boxes, update them and keep them locked
down, etc. There is much more maintenance with these servers then say a
PIX or FW-1.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA