Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: about Cisco CAR syntax?

From: "SB CH" <chulmin2 () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 02:06:39 +0000

Thanks for your answer.

But CAR is a effective soluition against DoS or DDoS Attack so security related, I guess.

But when I see this document, the meaning is not same as you said. please confirm about this again.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/car_rate_limit_icmp.html

access&#8722;list 106 permit tcp any any syn
!&#8722;&#8722;&#8722; We are only interested in syn packets
interface <interface> <interface #>
rate&#8722;limit input access&#8722;group 106 64000 8000 8000 conform&#8722;action transmit exceed&#8722;action drop

Note: We will rate limit to 64000 bps for all TCP Syn packets.

It say, 64000 instead of 64000+8000, right?
and then what is the meaning of the burst-normal-size?

Thanks in advance.