Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Statistics

From: Vishal <dhrakol () myrealbox com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:23:06 -0500

Hi Jack

Monday, November 24, 2003, 10:57:12 AM, you wrote:

JS> I often hear statistics bandied around like 85% of attacks are internal.
JS> Can anyone point to a reliable/quotable source of stats?  I'd like to prove
JS> to my cynical managment that we are not safe behind the corporate
JS> firewall...

JS> Also, I'd be interested in stats on amout of money lost to fraud, downtime,
JS> hacking, lack of DR etc.

A good book you can use to talk to senior management was written by three
security experts from Ernst & Young. It's called "Defending the digital
frontier". Unlike most security books, this one aims at the people in the best
position to influence security practice - management. EY is well-respected in
the security field and their explanations are very useful in convincing
higher-ups that security must be an integral part of their risk management
strategies.

Cheers,

--
Vishal