Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WARNING! -- RPC ports on Win2k

From: LordInfidel <LordInfidel () Directionweb com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:18:27 -0500

Just so everyone is clear on this,

If you are working in a domain or workgroup enviroment, want to share files
between system via
MS's sharing mechanism.  Then you can not remove "client for ms networks"
and "MS file and print sharing"
(Which effectively turns off RPC <135-139 and 445>).

However these ports should *NEVER* be allowed inbound or outbound thru a
firewall.

Next, I heard someone talk about IIS and it's reliance on it, this is not
true.  However, if your
IIS sever is multihomed with a front end interface (insecure internet
facing, aka public) and a back end interface (pvt netwk to connect to other
back end servers).  Then you can not uninstall the 2 services, by doing so
you remove them from all network adapters.  Instead you simply unbind the
services from the public interface (uncheck the pretty boxes).

On the flip side, if the srvr or wkstn is a standalone host, that is it does
not need to contact other MS machines for files or conduct domain level
authentication.  Then you can safely remove the 2 services bound from your
network adapter and still operate without any repercussions on the local
machine.

No machine on the public net, without a firewall in front of it to protect
it, should have RPC ports listening, POINT BLANK!

LordInfidel