Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wireless help

From: "Patoff Pat-EtHiQ" <patoff22 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:55:09 +0000

I've already found a program (software, not free...) that you could map your house/office with it, and it check where every user is on the wirelessLan, if someone, who is wardriving or, is not in the restricted area he wont be able to connect trought the server.

With some Mac and ip list restrict to your user only, it could be a good mix.

and like its say below, security on the server dhcp and other services is the best way, if the attacker as an ip and a mac but cant use any services on the lan, well its useless ... ;)

But i dont know if someone talk about it, but if an attacker has a Mac and ip of a user already connect and he as a Better signal and he is closer than the victim, the victim, is out, and the attacker can get is connection. this way i dont know how to secure...

Pat
www.pyrofreak.org

Just my little something...
Tomas
Though presumably an attacker could spoof a MAC address which you have listed as valid, no? Simply by passively sniffing, he could gain a valid IP *and* MAC, and use both.

Even if you were to require user authentication, and time out inactive sessions, he could concievably hijack an active session, so long as the legit client doesn't do anything when it recieves responses to connections it's never made (I suspect a Windows machine with a personal firewall like ZoneAlarm would behave in this way, failing to terminate connections initiated by the attacker in its name). So a hijacker could probably grab an active connection for the duration of its activity, or even keep it active after it's been abandoned. The only real foolproof way to prevent this would be encryption like VPN or IPSec, I suspect. Which is certainly overkill or simply unfeasable for many installations.

MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous ! http://fr.ca.search.msn.com/