Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Basic Questions about PKI

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:58:43 -0700

  Yes, yes, and yes.

  For authentication, it's sufficient to sign the message
digest with your private key, but you could about as easily
encrypt the whole message with your private key -- the
difference being that people without encryption software
couldn't read it in the latter case.  Think of it as an
alternative way to SIGN the message.

  In symmetric crypotosystems, the ENCRYPT and DECRYPT
algorithms are functional inverses when used with the same
key.  In asymmetric systems like PKI, there is a single
algorithm for both operations, and pairs of keys are used
which are one another's arithmetical inverses under that
algorithm.  It's not that there's an ENCRYPT and a decrypt,
as that applying either key gets you a ciphertext to which
application of the other key will recover the plaintext.

  Trivial example:

A. Symmetric implementation
  The key is "2", the ENCRYPTION algorithm is "add" and
the DECRYPTION algorithm is "subtract".

B. Asymmetric implementation
  The ALGORITHM is "add" and the keys are "+2" and "-2".

  NOTE:  The problem with "add" as an algorithm for such
an asymmetric implementation is that the derivation of the
second key from the first key is *trivial*.
  The challenge of modern cryptography is to find algorithms
where the algorithm implementation is relatively frugal, but
the derivation of one key from the other is sufficiently
expensive to be impractical.  It's success at making this
operation expensive that allows one of the keys to be made
public.
  Cryptographers are gradually finding or building better
and better candidate algorithms -- and, to keep themselves
honest, better and better key-derivation systems.

David Gillett