Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basic Network Configuration

From: cc <cc () belfordhk com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:53:11 +0800

Smith, KC wrote:

All,

Okay I know this is truly a basic question, but this is after all the "security-BASICS" list!

Most LAN configs I've seen include two, separate pieces of hardware to define the DMZ.  A firewall on the outside and
another firewall or policy switch on the inside is usually how I've seen that handled.

My new company uses 3 separate NICs in the same firewall.  One for inbound, one for the LAN and one for the DMZ.
Each has it's
own address block.

Perhaps you could clarify something.  As far as I've read, I've seen
DMZ charts of the following type:

Internet ->  Firewall (DMZ) -->DMZ-->Firewall(LAN)-->LAN

Can someone point out to me if this is a correct(albeit
basic) rendition of what a DMZ-based network configuration
is?

What I don't understand here is why a DMZ firewall would have
an inbound nic, a DMZ nic and a LAN nic?  Wouldn't
a DMZ just have the inbound/outbound NIC and the DMZ
nic?  Can someone clarify this?

The second issue is this: is there a rule of thumb to determine
what  should and should not go in the DMZ vs. the LAN?  It
seems to me that anything that requires access from outside
the network (Ex. DNS servers, Mail servers, demo servers, etc.)
should go in the DMZ.  True?

I think that looks very reasonable.  I'm still looking around for
information on this, but so far, I've reached an initial
conclusion that any DMZ/LAN determiniations would depend
entirely on one's company's security/network policy.

Sometimes I wish I took a computer degree in network
security and with the rise in computer security awareness,
the post of Chief Systems Security Officer looks very
attractive.