Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: cron exploit?

From: "Steve Bremer" <steveb () nebcoinc com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:05:05 -0500

so all those
nice little local buffer and heap overflows (and other potential
privilege escalation ilk) are less dangerous than they would otherwise
be.

Have you also considered trying the grsecurity kernel patch?  I've
found it to be quite stable in my testing as long as you don't chose
the experimental options (e.g. KERNEXEC).  It provides some
protection against stack and heap overflows, return into libc
exploits, and temporary file handling issues.  It actually has a
complete MAC system built in if you want to use it.  There are also a
bunch of other protection enhancing features available that I won't
go into here.

I recommend grsecurity for boxes that have local users since it
provides a lot additional protections if you can afford the small
performance hit.

www.grsecurity.org

Steve Bremer
NEBCO, Inc.