Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Where are Local Passwords stored on Win2K

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () netmedic net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:12:38 -0400

Steven,

Nobody can tell you what could or could not be obtained if your web server
was compromised without a lot more information.

But you could decrease the likelihood of someone cracking the password file
by.

1.  Making sure that they and the DC are not storing the LM hash of the
password:
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\NoLMHash\bar=4,0   For 2000
machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa\nolmhash=4,1   For XP and 2003
Sorry none for NT :(
After you make this change and reboot the system, You must re-apply all the
passwords, until you do the LM hash still exists.

2.  Force the "uncrackable" characters in all non-standard users passwords.
(Admin, Backup Operators, etc..)
See http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/88/312263 for details.

3.  Set your authentication level up to:
machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\lsa\lmcompatibilitylevel=4,5
Forcing the systems to only use NTLMv2 and refusing all others.

4.  Enable forced logoff, protection mode, restrict anonymous and remove
cached logon.

MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters\EnableForc
edLogOff=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\ProtectionMode=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\RestrictAnonymous=4,2
machine\software\microsoft\windows
nt\currentversion\winlogon\cachedlogonscount=1,0

5.  Restrict Null Session Access over named pipes:
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\NullSessio
nPipes=7,""
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\NullSessio
nShares=7,""
Unless there are some you need??

6.  Force SMB signing:
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters\EnableSecu
ritySignature=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters\RequireSec
uritySignature=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\Enabl
eSecuritySignature=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\Requi
reSecuritySignature=4,0
You mat want to read a little on this if you have pre 2000 systems.

7.  Enable Idle force logoff and protection mode
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\ProtectionMode=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters\EnableForc
edLogOff=4,1
machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\parameters\autodiscon
nect=4,15
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\Enabl
ePlainTextPassword=4,0

7.  Require secure channel integrity checking:

MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\SignSecureChan
nel=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\SealSecureChan
nel=4,1
MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\RequireSignOrS
eal=4,1

Or if you feel like it Force Kerberos authentication.

Hope this helps,

Dave Kleiman
secure () netmedic net
www.SecurityBreachResponse.com

"High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation."
Jack Kinder