Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking GoToMyPC

From: "jim" <jim () essistants com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:46:45 -0500

One idea that we had was to put a phony DNS entry into our DNS
server for the GoToMyPC domain, to send that traffic to a non-
existent IP on our network.  Would this work?  What would be the
major problems with it?

It is probably worth doing, because it isn't a terribly large amount of
effort, but I wouldn't rely on it.  Most people can figure out that they need
to use the IP instead of the domain name.  But hey, if it discourages one or
two users, it's worth the time.  Plus these are the most dangerous users, the
ones that know just enough to use a service like goto, but not enough to get
around you blocking their efforts to connect by a domain name.

Jim

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027