Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco vs. Snort

From: Nicholas Diotte <xphox () xphox net>
Date: 4 Sep 2003 13:20:27 -0000

Jude,

I have a reasonable budget, not an unlimited supply.  For the price ISS
quoted me, I can impliment Cisco, NetMon, and Snort!  However I'm currious
as to why you would choose ISS over other products.  Have you had the
chance to compair IDS vendors?  Maybe that question can be thrown out to
the list.

Does anyone have any reports compairing different IDSes?

I'm finding it very hard to create a presentation, as I don't have
anything to compair besides what is available on vendor's websites.  And
we all most of that information was created by some marketting firm, who
knows nothing about real world issues.

Thanks,

IF you have the budget for an IDS, why don't you go with a well used,
supported and trusted brand, like ISS RealSecure running on a Nokia
appliance ?

Jude