Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: 05 Sep 2003 15:39:56 -0700

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 14:29, Jay Woody wrote:
What purpose would seeing a response from a ping serve to a
kiddy looking to deface web sites?  If they are going to attack
you randomly, why do you assume that they would stop to
think when they are blindly attacking networks/ips anyway?

Here is how it works again.

How what works?  How you assume they will attack the network or probe
it?

  They scan a range and then go back and run
a port scan/vuln scan against what replies.

Most just simply run them.  If they are up, they are up.

  They don't run vuln scans
randomly against ranges,

Yes, actually, 'they' do.

 they run ping sweeps randomly against ranges,
those that reply get more attention.

Not really.  Some people may do that, but experience dictates
otherwise.  The people that randomly probe just do it, they don't make a
list to spend a lot of time on unless it's an intentional, known target
they have some desire to break into.

  So how would not replying help?
Well by getting less attention obviously.

Why do you assume that out of millions of Ips that respond, one will get
more attention than another?  If you are correct and someone collects a
list of "I'm live, I'm here" responding Ips are to later be targeted,
that's one thing, but I've never seen that.

  They aren't "blindly
attacking networks/ips anyway".  They are blindly scanning or sweeping
networks/ips through the use of pings.

You assume so, but it's more likely a blind probing.

  They are not so blindly (but
almost) running a port scan those that reply.  Then they are running a
vuln scan against the boxes that just told them they were a certain OS,
etc.

Almost all scanners and worms even, will hit the range of IPs and not
care if it responds to pings.

Running a scanner to look for open ports of vulnerabilities
in services, as not going to change because you don't reply
to ping requests.  Those scans will check the ports and
services on said IP--not give up if it can't get a ping
response.

Man, dude, where do I start on this one?  :)  Yes, running something
like that would behave exactly as you describe (I think).  However, that
isn't at all what anyone has said.  Again, they "scan" the ADDRESSES in
a range for a simple reply and then run a port scan/vuln scan against
those that reply.

From what I've seen, that's not the case.  They don't first check to see
that it's alive, they can see it's alive without waiting for a ping
response.  They will most likely initially scan for common services to
see if it's alive.  Not only is it more accurate, but it's also telling
them that the service they want to test is up.

  Your point is that if they don't respond to pings,
they likely won't respond to vuln scans.

No, I didn't say that.

  The script kiddies say the
same thing in reverse.

Huh?  That's what I said.  I said that will scan it, not caring if it
replies from a ping request.

  If you respond to a ping you likely will give up
more information if asked.

But less helpful information than you would getting a response from a
service you are looking for being up.  Hence, ping is irrelevant, they
will hit the ports/services to see if they should "come back".

  Again, they scan the range for replies and
then run a port scan/vuln scan against the replies for more info.

They do?  How do you know this?  How do you know that's what most or all
of the script kiddies do?

  They
don't blindly run a vuln scan against a range.  That would be even more
stupid and waste time.

Uh, we're talking about random scans/probing and script kiddies and you
think that's unlikely because it would be 'stupid'?  This is why script
kiddies are a joke and why ping responses are not going to make a
difference.

And that doesn't relate to the type of attacks being
discussed.  That's another, less serious issue anyway.

Uh, OK.

Indeed.

  The question was should your devices reply.

Yes, that was the question.

  There is not an
ATTACK there.

No, there's certainly not.

  The statement was that no, they shouldn't because then
you get more interest from the kiddies.

Not really, but you don't have to share my opinion nor belief.

  You said no you don't and I
said yes you do.

Yes, that's correct.. that appears to be what we said.

  Haven't heard about any attack mentioned at all.

Haven't you been reading what I said?

Also, if you think having your web page defaced is not serious, then ask
Nike how much the press hurt them and ask Microsoft how much money they
spend on making sure it doesn't happen to them.

Who is their lack of security an issue when it comes to how much
'attention' a ping response will get you or not?  I don't believe it
will, because random scans will randomly scan you anyway.  I've disabled
ICMP for ping requests on different networks and I see the same amount
of probing/scanning activity on them as one's with it enabled.  As for
Nike and MS, they are targets, it has no bearing on them responding to
ping requests.

  If you are a seller,
then having your web page defaced and pointing people to a site that
gathers their credit card numbers would be decently serious I would
think.

Ping responses have absolutely no bearing on the security of your
server/web site.  It's either secure or it's not.  You have the opinion
that someone's going to randomly ping Ip's looking for responses, rather
than simply seeing if a service is running, is going to save some people
from being compromised.  I disagree.  If your security is so slack that
a script kiddie can later come back simply from seeing the IP was
pingable, then you have bigger concerns than ping responses to worry
about.  Also, consider this; if you have someone skilled enough to have
any chance of getting into most servers, those will not likely be the
type of people that will think a ping response means anything and,
instead, they will be scanning for open ports/services.  No, ping
doesn't hide you.

No, they'd probe for vulnerabilities by domain or IP, the
ping response plays no role in that situation.

If they are probing for vulnerabilities by domain (and I am not 100%
sure what you mean there), then they are retarded.

That depends on how you look at it.  They may have specific types of
sites that they want to compromise.  Grabbing a list of domains (ie.,
from an old whois db) would serve up all the domains with 'shop' in
them, for example.  Either way, someone's that's going to randomly scan
IP ranges with no target in mind, is retarded anyway.  I don't know
about you, but I don't worry about those type.

  I said that they
deface the web page and move on and you reply that they scan for vulns
by domain.

Pings have nothing to do with web site defacement.  Poor security does.
How someone finds them, is irrelevant.  Lack of a ping response doesn't
hide you.

  Again, the ping response plays a HUGE role.

I disagree.

  They ping a
group of addresses, if you don't respond they move the FREAK ON.

Unless they just happen to test for more accurate results, which a
skilled enough cracker to be a threat would be doing anyway.

  If you
do, they run a port scan, then a vuln scan against you.

Or they just do anyway, since we're talking about retards.

  By not
replying, you stop the kiddies from looking (in addition to many of the
other DDoS issues mentioned already).

You're living in a dream world if you really think you saying this makes
it true.  As for some types of attacks, I stated, depending on what
protocol, it couldn't hurt and may help minimize damage.  As for site
defacers and people looking to crack your box, forget it, it makes
absolutely no difference.

  "[T]hey'd probe for
vulnerabilities . . . IP", yep, exactly and where did they get the IP
address?

Where exactly do you think they get the IP to ping in the first place?
They hit it and see.  Instead of hitting it for an unhelpful ping
response, they hit services or ports and see if it's up and a potential
target.  Responding to pings doesn't make you a target.

  By the freaking ping reply.

Like I said, how do you imagine they get those IP's to try and get a
ping response from?  What is this, a joke?

  No reply, less attempts.

In your opinion.

  I am
just not saying it right or something, so help me see where we are
missing it.

I've been trying.

That is irrelevant.

Then your point is irrelevant,

No.

 because I was agreeing with your point.

No, you weren't.  Read the responses.

Sure, some people see a site and say, "I want to hack that particular
company."  99% don't.

And those 99% will scan for services being up, not give up on a lack of
a ping response--that means nothing.

  They say, I want to hack 40 sites in a week.  I
don't give a crap who, so let's see who replies.

And they'll start scanning ports/services.

True.  You're either vulnerable or not.  But it depends on the
type of attack and on what service or protocol.

And if you don't reply to pings then 90% of the kiddies never even try
to find out what will work against you.

No.  Refer to above.

No it doesn't.  Skripties are stupid by nature.  They hit
blindly with the scanners, the scanners don't give up if
there's no ping response,

See, here is where you keep missing it.

This is ironic.  Do I need to explain?

  They DO NOT blindly run vuln
scans.

Says who?  Says you?  Why are you so certain people will check for a
measly, means nothing ping response, instead of just testing fir a
response on a common port, like port 80--after all, they _are_ after web
servers.  Just because you say it, doesn't make it so.

  They blindly run Ping sweeps.

There's no rule to say that's what they _must_ do and, again, in my
experience, that's not the case.  Are you more worried about the people
that think they need to ping a server to think something's there, or the
more thoughtful cracker whom checks to see if you have services running,
because they know pings don't matter?  So, your entire point and
reasoning therefore, is that you can do this to prevent the most
clueless script kiddies that use the most suckiest tool/scanner, from
trying to deface your web site?  Does that really worry you... at all?

  They scan a range and see who