Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ICMP (Ping)

From: "Jay Woody" <jay_woody () tnb com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 12:01:02 -0500

That would obviously depend on how you were shedding the pings and what
tools they were using.  That is where I think Tim and I were crossing
wires on.  Obviously there are a myriad of tools out there that behave
different ways.  I have used a couple, I have friends that have used a
bunch and all of them compile a list from people that reply and then
whittle it down from there.  I haven't exactly been involved in that
stuff in a while now, so some tools may be nicer than others.

The only logical reason I can give is the same one that I gave Tim.
They are looking for the slow, stupid ones and for whatever reason, they
see that as people that respond to pings.  Even not replying but
acknowledging your existence I guess would tell them I am here and I am
somewhat secure.  They just want easy in and out, so they drop those
guys and compile the list as straight-forward as possible.  Again, not
100% of the time do script kiddies act like that, but a large portion of
them do.  100% of the tools I have used and seen do that, so that is why
I dropped them.  That was the question and that was my answer.

Some of the tools now may have coded into them that an unreachable was
the same as a ping response, so if you are allowing half the handshake,
etc. you may still appear on those.  Can't really say.  My main point to
Tim was that he wanted to know why some people drop them.  Aside from
the DoS issues that had already been discussed a large segment of the
population seems to believe that script kiddies start with a ping sweep
and drill down.  So not being a part of the ping sweep help keeps out
the clutter.  Have tools changed now to take some of that into account?
Probably.  Are there now ways to appear as unpingable rather than
unreachable?  Probably.  It is the constant cat and mouse game.  My main
point was simply that not responding to pings keeps the simple stuff
from being run against you.  Not the determined, vuln scanning demon,
but the easy kiddie who just wants to crack as many as possible and then
brag about it to his buds on IRC.  You guys can look at your logs and
see that most of the time, you can basically say what tool was used
because it is such a pattern.  These guys aren't trying their homemade
zero day exploits, just the regular crap and many times the first step
is pinging.  That's all I am trying to get across.

JayW

Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net> 09/05/03 09:49PM >>>