Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Sign:Re: Is there such a thing as DNS Network Mapper type application

From: David Burt <uncue75 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 06:14:26 -0700 (PDT)

This is exactly the information that I am looking for
however, doing a zone transfer would certainly show up
as a snort/IDS alert.  Someone off list suggested
scanning the subnet and doing a DNS reverse lookup.
This too I would this cause a snort/IDS alert.  I'm
looking for something a little less intrusive.  In the
same email, this person suggested that I could write a
perl script to use nslookup to query common names like
the ones I listed.  This is exactly what I am looking
for, however perl and I don't get along very well.  I
could probably do this, it would just take some time.
Then I would have to come up with my own list of
common host names, which is another reason I was
hopping someone had already been down this road.

Thanks for the responses...

David