Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Encryption - Part II

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:21:17 -0700

From: Kamal Habayeb [mailto:mountainfury () fastmail fm]
Milli Bit wrote:
| In my quest for passwords that are easy to remember, I wrote a small
| web-app "Pseudo-Random Semi-Pronounceable Password". Rather than
| duplicate the explanation here in email...

Very interesting.  Again like you said it would not be suitable for a
corporate environment, but it would be very good for a home user, especially
if one were to add some numbers in there.  I personally use Aladdin Systems
Web sign-on token.  It is a usb token that fits on your key ring and allows
you to save web page passwords to it.  You need to enter a master password
to access the token, but it allows you to have a different random password
for every site.

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Do you really think those are not good enough for corporate use?
Seem to be fine to me, i can manually throw in a number, or a changed case
before i give a pass to a user.

This is a nice tool, but honestly you're reinventing the wheel, these are called MTR-3006 passwords and I've already been using a program that does this (and can add numbers) called XYZZY. Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. I wouldn't use these as OS login passwords (unless you rotate with ridiculous frequency like monthly) but they're great for website passwords and things with a low security rating like instant messaging.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." -- Tyler Durden

Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer-- sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup