Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: protect MS Windows 95/98/Me

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:27:19 +0200

On 2003-09-24 Robert Reidenbach wrote:
I'm looking for a software that you can install on MS Windows 95/98/Me
Machines that won't allow an ordinary user to install any programs or
allow any virus to infect any files. Would anybody know what they call
these programs and where to get them? Any kind of help will be
appreciated.

AFAIK this is not possible, since Windows 9x does not provide (real)
user management, permissions and the like. Even if there was a software
doing what you described, it could be easily disabled.
I suggest you rather move on to Linux, Windows 2000 (or XP if you must),
OS X or something like that. Don't waste your time on trying to secure
Windows 9x.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers