Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best Practices on Web based email ?

From: chort <chort () amaunetsgothique com>
Date: 03 Sep 2003 09:32:07 -0700

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 06:06, Bill_Roswell () oxy com wrote:
Do you allow web based email? What is the best practice advice from a
security standpoint?  Do you have any restrictions since you can't
remove attachments or force a virus scan or force content/header
filtering?

Thanks,

Bill

Security Architect
Oxy Inc. IT-Security
Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Houston, Texas
713-215-7976

Best practices are to not allow access to company webmail from outside
the network unless:

* The application is reverse proxied so as not to expose the servers
directly to the Internet.

* The traffic is encrypted from the remote client to the reverse proxy
(i.e. while it traverses the Internet cloud)

* Use two-factor authentication

* Enforce strict session checking (sessions are not reusable,
hijackable, sessions time-out and require the user to reauthenticate,
sessions are securely terminated when the user logs off)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

--
Brian Keefer

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com