Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Netinfo Manager

From: Matt Burnett <marukka () mac com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:42:22 -0500

NetInfo manager does not use nidump to gather information from the NetInfo database, it just uses the API provided by
OS X. If you want to see for yourself goto publicsource.apple.com and look at the source code. In NeXT OS there was a
feature in NetInfo were you could assign a shadow property to certain NetInfo elements like the password to prevent
unprivliged users/processes from accessing the crypt(3) ciphertexts, but i belive this was disabled in OS X. A fix for
this issue would  be for OS X to doing something like use LDAP to query Window's Active Directory.