Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Traffic Monitor

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:22:08 -0500

One of the clever things our users do with ntop is to create a filter that
eliminates 'normal' traffic.  You then use ntop to monitor for things you
don't expect to see.

For example, say you are monitoring your DMZ, where your mail server is
a.b.c.2 and your web server is a.b.c.3.

Running ntop with the filter (standard bpf filter syntax):

"not ((host a.b.c.2 and port 25) or (host a.b.c.3 and port 80))"

will collect only DMZ traffic other than the services you think you provide.

During one of the last worm attacks, one user created this type of instance,
identified the infected user and had them blown off the network inside of 15
minutes.  End of problem.

Check out the new v3.0 -- lots more stable, lots of new features and fixes -
available @ SourceForge!

-----Burton