Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password (User) Insecurity

From: Nick Owen <nowen () wikidsystems com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:12:13 -0400

I'm more interested in knowing why companies haven't deployed something already - at least for remote access. Is is cost? user push back? or is the threat not front and center?

Al Cooper wrote:
There is an article on Slashdot this morning about how easy it is to use
social engineering/bribes on users to get their passowrd(s).

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/04/20/1159207.shtml?tid=126&tid=172

I am interested in what the community is doing to protect user passwords,
and if there are any technologies that are currently deployable, that will
eliminate or reduce the need for passwords (biometrics, etc.)

Thanks,

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

--
Nick Owen
CEO