Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: password protect encrypted directory - secure

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Virtual Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:01:13 -0700 (PDT)

hi ya

Preface: I have directory which contains sensitive data on a w2k/xp
laptop.  I have the directory and files residing within encrypted.

sounds like a good start ... to have the data encrypted

hopefully, the passphrase is not something simple like 'eye encrypted it"

Issue: I would like to password protect this directory so even the user
who is logged into this profile is prompted for a password prior to
gaining access to this data.

sounds like you want a windoze solution

Desired outcome: By accomplishing this (if possible) I wish to deny
access to this data via remote entry/being hacked, and also protect the

set your security to deny remote access .. deny vpn .. deny dhcp ...
gazillions rules

data should the laptop be stolen, or someone walks away from their
computer without locking it (i.e. ctrl-alt-del) leaving it wide open for
someone to sit down and start playing.

nothing you can do once the laptop is stolen

nothing you can do about the user that gets up to go get coffee or
bathroom break and leave the screen open w/ everybodys salaries

other than to spank their fingers everytime they breakt he rules
of leaving the sensitive data unattended

Is this something that can be accomplished?  Is there commercial or
opensource software available?

open source stuff for linux ... lots of ways ...
        http://www.Linux-Sec.net/FS  -- lots of encrypted filesystems

but your limited in windoze land to pgp .. which is just as good
and cheap/affordable as long as the passphrase is carefully chosen
and other security precautions are implemented to support
the desired level of paranoia of the data, the computer, the network
and home user access which should be denied

I have found software on the web that states it can password protect a
directory, but with out installing and testing all of them how can I
know if it most secure?  Has anyone tested or reviewed this type of
software?

your security is only as good as the amount of testing you do to it
or the amount of testing an outside audit services does to say
your data is relatively secure  or your pc or network ..

c ya
alvin

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html