Security Basics mailing list archives

against outgoing spam using /usr/sbin/sendmail?

From: "Monty Ree" <chulmin2 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:45:24 +0000

Hello, all.

I would like to set sendmail that only some allowed domains or e-mail address can send an e-mail to remote host using /usr/sbin/sendmail program.

So I set /etc/mail/access like this.

#localhost.localdomain RELAY # commented #localhost RELAY # commented #127.0.0.1 RELAY #commented abc.com RELAY zyx.com RELAY

and executed "makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access"
Then only two domains are allowed. But when I send an e-mail from address is "root () spam com" at that server using sendmail to remote, I can send emails well.

What's the matter and how can I solve this problem.

Additionaly, some hosting user send lots of mails using /usr/sbin/sendmail from cgi program,
How can I protect normal user from sending spam mails at sendmail?
I can't delete /usr/sbin/sendmail because some normal user must send an e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

상큼한 만남과 따뜻한 공동체 생활... 지금 MSN 커뮤니티에서 시작하세요! http://groups.msn.com/?pgmarket=ko-kr

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/InfoSecInstitute_security-basics_040817