Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security issues in publishing content of /etc ?

From: Lukasz Sztachanski <szati () rudy mif pg gda pl>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:50:46 +0200

Dnia Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 06:06:06PM +0000, lemieuxs () ca inter net napisal(a):
Hi there,
  I was wondering about the following idea.

  What if the content of the /etc/ directory of a linux server was public to anyone logged
in. And what if
anyone could log in, with read-only access.
just check permisions... the only problem is posibility of exploiting some
program working with uid(0) - that will give full access to all files.

you can also use 'chflags'( only for some files), and syscalls monitoring( e.g. systrace or
grsecurity, and afair- lids).

  I believe the security issue here is that there will be no secrets for anyone who wants
to hack, they'll
for non-local users too, even if you'll manipulate with /etc.

know the DNS IP,
so secure your dns - dns's ip has to be public for normal work

running services,
then hide processes did't own by some uid ( openwall, grsecurity)
their options, they will be able to copy /etc/passwd
and crack the
passwords with time.
there's no passwords in passwd. /etc/shadow contain passwords - it's 'rw'
only for uid0.

passwd, like many other files in /etc, has to be readable for normal work.
denying access to /etc is realy bad policy. You can still make this
directory 751 to prevent 'ls' for others( in this case others = lame users).

  What else could bring a security issue?

  I'm asking this because I'm soon going to develop a file sharing program which the whole
network will
mimic a single virtual host, but with no central nodes, the write permissions will be
stored publicly,etc.
I'll probably post my project's headline when I get a clearer idea of how to handle it.

Thanks in advance,
 Simon

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html
good luck

--