Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basic Security for RedHat

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:53:07 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Kalpin Erlangga Silaen wrote:
I am using RedHat 9.0 and there is 3 admin in my server. I am looking
for some tools which will send email to me while some admin adduser or
change user's password. Also I am looking for some tutorials how to
limits user's resources in RedHat and some security basics.

Any help will be appreciate.

Solution greatly depends on what is the purpose of this: if you just want to be
notified that something is changed then just add to crontab a script which will
check if /etc/passwd and shadow (or `ypcat passwd' if you use NIS instead of
files) are the same as before. If your addmins always use some commands to do
the job you can subsitute the commands with something which will notify you
first and exec the original program. But if you want something to be secure
against real attacker who has root access it will be not easy if possible at
all.

--
Regards,
ASK