Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: unable to join domain from dmz

From: "Andrew Shore" <andrew.shore () holistecs com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:59:13 -0000

Yes, yes it is.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip McCollum [mailto:PMcCollum () sanmanuel com]
Sent: 01 September 2004 18:51
To: dan.tesch () comcast net; Andrew Shore;
security-basics () lists securityfocus com
Subject: RE: unable to join domain from dmz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just a bad idea in general to have
any sort of Domain Controller data on a server in the DMZ?

Phillip McCollum
Network Technician
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
pmccollum - at - sanmanuel.com

"Andrew Shore" <andrew.shore () holistecs com> 8/26/2004 7:33:52 AM

conduit permit ip host 172.17.0.10 172.17.0.0 255.255.0.0

Is this the real line from the pix or a typo in the question?

You should need conduit command from the 172.17.x.x to 172.17.x.x as
this does not go through the firewall

You need to allow netbios traffic to and from the BDC sever on the dmz
to the PDC.

Also as stated before you will need a wins server.

conduit permit icmp any any is allow the ping command.

Also you should really use access-list rather than conduit commands as
believe Cisco are dropping support for the conduit command with the
next
PIX OS release, mind you they've said that for years.

Hope this helps

Andy