Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Rights?

From: Marco Peccianti <pecciant () cli di unipi it>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:39:10 +0100

Hi to all.

dmorrow5 () satx rr com wrote:

I'd like to think I'm somewhat computer savvy, but this one escapes
me...running XP, trying to run Windows Update. All but one or two
updates will fail. I've done some research that suggested a necessary
service may not have started, but this is not the case. When looking
at the user account, they are designated as Administrator. However,
Windows Update says it won't install the updates unless it's
accomplished by an administrator. Any suggestions?

Well, it sounds a bit strange but...

Is it possible that the updates are scheduled few hours in the future, expecially if the patch requires a reboot? I'm running now SUS server to deploying patches, and my clients downloads every patch, but the real installation is postponed for some time. I've tracked this in the event logs, but these appeared only some times after the download, and some reboot. The official cause (maybe... the documentation isn't really clear) was that there wasn't an administrator doing these operation. I spent some time to realize that everything is ok. Look also at the file C:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log (probably you already done it ;-). Try to wayt for a day and recheck the logs. I never had this problem with the standard WindowsUpdate, but... i hope this helps.

Bya,

Marco Peccianti