Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Catching Firewall?

From: "Michael LaSalvia" <mike () genxweb net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:00:34 -0500

You can try putting a linux box running spam assassin in the front of
the firewall or even behind it have that do your mail filtering then
forward the mail to the mail server minus the spam (including
viruses) currently my mail server is blocking and removing all
instances of my doom, I have not had one out break in our domain with
that software yet. I have all the spam forwarded to an account for
reviewing to make sure my filters are not blocking anything
important.

If you want to catch the attachments you can try using mailsnarf and
filesnarf it is a package in the dsniff suite. Though that wont stop
the mail from coming in it will store a copy of the file on that box.