Security Basics mailing list archives

EAPOL, VLANs and network drives

From: Oleksandr Darchuk <o.darchuk () wucb lviv net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:57:11 +0200

Hello.
Sorry for possible offtopic, but as I see, people in this mail list work with some network features and possible will help me with some advices. I decided to separate my network on some VLANs. But users in our office migrate too fast and to often, that's why I try to bound VLAN ID to username, not to fixed port on switch. I use EAPOL with RADIUS for that. When user bypass EAPOL auth, RADIUS server sends attribute Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = X and switch (I use Nortel BayStack) mark port as VLAN X untagged member. It is rather smart configuration, because when user migrate in other department I just change RADIUS file and don't need to find new port on swith and reconfigure it. Everything works fine, but I have problem with Novell login/network drives. When computer turn on, NetWare client run login script _during_ users loging into WinXP/Win2K and it's _before_ EAPOL auth. That's why user can't map network drives and need to relogin. So, can anyone give me some advice how to fix it: e. g. to set VLAN ID in other way? Or to reconfigure EAPOL client? Or RADIUS server (btw I use freeradius). Is it possible that my configuration will work when use Microsoft radius beside freeradius and use Windos AD besides NetWare? Possible somebody work with EAPOL more familar? At least reccomend me other maillist.
Sorry for pure English and thanks for all advises.

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------