Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: compromised network

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:04:38 +0100

On 2004-01-02 Greg wrote:
Eg, let's say all is quiet and OK and the crap started happening, at
the local timezone of that machine, at 11PM. Let's FURTHER say that
the business has a once a week full backup with hourly incrementals.
What the heck is the matter with going back to that SAME day at 10PM's
incremental and restoring from that image/incremental?

How do you make sure the intruder did not modify anything not covered by
those backups (e.g. install some additional backdoors)?

The only reasonable thing to do in a situation like this is:

- find out how the intruder got in
- rebuild the system from scratch
- close the door the attacker had used
- restore backups where appropriate
- then put the system(s) back online

Reformat and install from scratch? That is more or less, to me
personally, like "My car is out of fuel! I better buy a new car!".

Wrong.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers