Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: advice

From: Jeff McLaughlin <JMclaughlin () springsgov com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:12:36 -0700

IMHO,

Network Security will rely on your ability to be proficient in many
disciplines. To secure your network it is very helpful to understand what is
running on it and how it runs on it.  Network security crosses all
boundaries and being effective means you have a working knowledge of
networks and the apps/OS that run on them.  You need breadth as well as
depth.

Understand that although helpful, it is not a good idea to learn the
material with the goal of just passing a test.  Your goal should be a
through knowledge of the subject which should allow you to then pass the
test.

A certification process you could follow could be.

To demonstrate you understand the network environment.
CCNA (Network), MCP-Windows 2000 Server & Networks (OS), Linux+ or other
linux cert(OS), Security+ (or other basic type security cert)

To demonstrate you have depth.
CCNP or CCSP, MCSE or MCSP, CISSP (or other mid-level security cert),

To be an  "expert"

CCIE, RHSE, multiple certs in apps database, programming.

HTH,
Jeff McLaughlin
MCSE,MCNE,CCNP,CSS,MCDBA,MCSD,Linux+,Infosec

P.S.  I think I have a very good knowledge of networks because of my MCSE
certification.