Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: compromised network - followups - yuppers

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 04:46:47 -0800 (PST)

You're going to need the right kind of security
dude.

and/or just a "list of things to do" after a
(suspect) compromise

Collecting data is trivial...understanding what that
data is telling you is another matter entirely.  Sure,
it's easy to do lookups of IP addresses from the
output of netstat, but how do you find out what the
bad guy was doing...or if there even was a "bad guy"?

yes... my comment is that people learn by poking
around

it might look like chinese characters/jibberish to
english
language readers ...  so i concure that it might be
pointless
to look at stuff one doesnt know what to look for

- but if you keep looking and wantto learn, you will
  figure it out over years of studying the
traffic/data

Over years?  The original poster is sniffing from an
incident that has already happened.  To me, it sounds
more as if he's sniffing b/c he heard someone say he
should, not b/c he's looking for anything in
particular.

Sure, over time, one will learn about what they're
looking at...if they choose to do so.

      - i think sniffing lends itself to too much
headache
      and too many false alarms ...

I would agree.  Too many times, it's a matter of "I
don't know exactly what this traffic is doing, so it
must be bad".  Speculation serves no useful purpose
when investigating an incident, or troubleshooting a
network issue.

Which federal law is that?  I'm familiar with
California's SB 1386,

[snip]

thats the one ... and i could have sworn it had a
federal
counterpart ... ( but i couldn be out in fairly tale
wishfuland )

Yeah.  ;-)  A quick Google search will show you the
text of the law...very interesting.  It states that if
the personal data is compromised, the company must
disclose this fact...unless the data was encrypted.
However, there is no detailed specification of
"encrypted"...ROT-13, bit-shift left?  Ouch!

Also, consider this...how many organizations can
detect a compromise?  Acxiom and other places holding
personal information on consumers "detected" their
compromises when the bad guy bragged...not b/c of
their own internal processes.  So imagine if someone
took that same data, but instead of telling everyone
about it, used it in a very limited way, over time?