Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internal Instant Messaging

From: Ranjeet Shetye <ranjeet.shetye2 () zultys com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:07:29 -0800

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 05:39, Chris Burton wrote:
Everyone,
     I am working with a client that has a large
enterprise that recently has found it has a need for
an internal instant messaging server.  Not necessaily
"internal but one that could be set outside the
firewall but that they could control who was on it and
that doesn't rely on the big guys (AIM, ICQ, MSN,
etc).

The only one that came to mind was ICQ Groupware, but
that creates a management headache that they may or
may not be up for.

Bonus points for me if it links into Blackberrys or
cell phone messaging.

Regards,
Chris

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!

disclaimer -- I am plugging for the company that I work for --

http://www.zultys.com/

Since you mentioned integration with phones, here at Zultys, we've got a
SIP based communications systems, with instant messaging, chat,
presence, SIP-based IP phones for VoIP along with data routing,
firewall, NAT and a host of other datacomm features needed for running a
corporate communications network. If you're thinking of going the VoIP
way, Zultys is definitely worth taking a look at.

I can't really explain how easy the system is to use. e.g. you can email
or call someone at their email ID, or call their extension, or make a
software-based (for low-budget) VoIP call to/from our Windows and
Linux-based messenger clients or use a hardware IP phone (for
well-budgeted) to make the call. It even integrates seamlessly with MSN
messenger on Windows if that's what you want. The whole system is built
on top of Linux.

You really have to see all the various disparate communications channels
all come together, so that the focus is on what you're communicating,
not on the mechanism like email or phone or IM.

Ranjeet.

--

Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer

The views, opinions, and judgements expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by Zultys.