Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: New Trojan?

From: "Lauren Ward" <LWard () mcw com au>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:37:35 +1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff [mailto:Jeff@Not_A_Real_Address.com]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 1:15 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: New Trojan?

<snip>

1. My son read his email via the web. It included e-cards.
    He read them. Doesn't remember where they took him, nor
    does he remember if he used IE6 or Firefox.

2. Long screaming session about things TO do and things NOT
    to do while on the internet. 278th time. Disabled his account.

A couple of cool little programs to help stop this crap inserting itself in to the startup section of the registry:
RegistryProt from DiamondCS (free)

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot

and disabling virus scanners, spybot etc:
Process Guard from DiamondCS (cheap)

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

After the initial setup it is very easy to train partner / kids to always answer 'NO' when one of these windows pops up.

BTW, no affiliation with DiamondCS whatsoever, simply a happy customer. :-)

Lauren

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html