Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Minimum password requirements

From: "Gethin Jones" <gethinj () gethin net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:48:15 +0100

Dear All,

I thought Social Engineering might be worth mentioning here.
Even if you feel it isn't necessary to enforce strong passwords, it is
always worth doing as the end-users themselves feel safer.
They might grumble about password aging or password complexity but they will
feel safer knowing that their sessions are secure.

It will also deter ex-employees from trying to attack their old workplace as
they will  'know' that the passwords are secure.
They will also realise that their passwords will have been deleted as the
internal IT department is competent.

Always worth thinking about

Gethin Jones