Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NIST template.

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 15 Jun 2004 12:42:23 -0000

I have come across a problem running a login script in AD from a win2K
professional workstation with the NIST template on it. I don't know where
the problem is as auditing shows no errors in the logs. Can someone shed
some light on where I may need to look to enable this login script to run.

Could you post the file you're using, or provide a link to it?  In order to answer your question, we'd have to be sure
that there were no modifications to the original NIST template.  Also, it's important to know what version of the which
template you're using (ProGold, or ProGoldPlus).

it is using wsscript.exe which I give the users access to.

Not to pick nits, but if you're giving users access to "wsscript.exe", that may be the problem.  The file you're most
likely interested in, if you're referring to Windows Scripting Host and not some internal application, is "wscript.exe"
(minus one 's').  A small thing, I know, but more than one program or script has bombed due to misspellings...

It's not a
service as I have turned on all services to check this.

Are you sure that's a good idea, particularly for your environment?  The Principle of Least Privilege (a "Very Good
Thing"(tm)) says that we shouldn't turn on all services...

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html