Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Recommending an IDS system

From: Karsten Iwen <newsletter () saviya de>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:04:41 +0100

> New version of Cisco IDS runs on Linux box where as older version runs on Solaris.

to put it together:

The "new" sensor-software (ver 4) both of the appliance and the IDSM2 (Cat6500-Module) runs on top of RedHat-Linux. The "old" sensor-software (to ver 3.x) of the appliance runs on top of Solaris.

Want to guess what OS the old Cat6500-Module (IDSM1, EOL) was running? You won't believe it, it's Windows NT4.

--
Karsten Iwen
Technical Instructor / Consultant

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html