Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux Distribution Recomendation

From: Michael Gale <michael () bluesuperman com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 13:54:20 -0700

So ... what is a normal Linux or Unix system and how is the security
rather poor ? I would consider a FreeBSD system to be a normal Unix
system in too days perspective and it's level of security as compared
with other operating systems is very secure.

You figure for a start up company today you have 3 main OS choices:

Unix version - FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD

Linux version - Slackware, .....

Microsoft Windows - Win2000, WinXp, Win2003 ..

No in order to say a OS is not secure would you not need to have base
line, which would be the average ?

So the way I look at it, if you came up with a base line for security
based on available out of the box OS you can install. The Unix and Linux
version would make up the top 30% for being the most secure while
Microsoft is falling farther behind.

Michael.

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:24:20 +0100